AmigaActive (1023/2143)

From:tim
Date:13 May 2000 at 19:01:04
Subject:Re: PFS2 - 3 Upgrade (Long)

Hi Kevin

> One thing I noticed was the loss of quite a lot of disk space once a
> partition was converted to PFS. I assume this is the space taken by
> the .deldir directory?
>
> I was a bit miffed at first, but thinking about it, the functionality
> of being able ro recover files is worth the loss of space, especially
> considering the size of HDs now on offer.

The space isn't taken by the .deldir directory, it's taken by PFS3's
internal directory blocks. PFS3 allocates these at format time, while
FFS allocates them as it needs them. Although it may seem that the
PFS3 partiton is smaller as a result, it will actually hold more data
as the directory structure is more space efficient.

Tim

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
experiments.